Comitted to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 4 Num 36 Wed. July 02, 2003  
   
Sports


India out to get WC money


India's cricket chiefs will go to "any extent" to secure the nine million dollars held back by the sport's world governing body for violating World Cup contracts, a senior official said on Tuesday.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) withheld India's share of World Cup revenue till a settlement had been reached on the 50-million dollar compensation claimed by its marketing agent.

Even as the ICC grapples with the issue, India has decided to file its own counter-claim against the agent, Global Cricket Corporation (GCC), accusing it of not marketing the recent World Cup in Africa properly.

Jagmohan Dalmiya, president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), said the modalities of the counter-claim will be deliberated at a two-day meeting of the Board here on Wednesday and Thursday.

A BCCI source added: "Nine million dollars is a big amount, we will go to any extent to get the money which is rightfully ours."

India is the only one among the 10 Test-playing nations whose entire share of the World Cup revenue has been withheld by the ICC.

India's cricketers had refused to sign the original players' terms for the World Cup which asked them to surrender control of their personal endorsement and image rights in favour of the tournament's official sponsors.

The BCCI has been heartened by recent statements from the Federation of International Cricketers Associations (FICA) that it will negotiate hard over future players contracts.

While the contracts issue will dominate the two-day meeting, the BCCI will also finalise the schedule for the busy home season, discuss the revival of bilateral matches against Pakistan and seal the appointment of national coach John Wright for another term.

India is scheduled to host New Zealand for Test matches in October before world champions Australia join in for a limited-overs tri-series in November.

The Board is awaiting word from the government on its proposal to play two one-day matches against Pakistan in September and undertake its first Test tour of Pakistan in 14 years next March.

The government, which banned bilateral cricket with Pakistan three years ago following deteriorating political relations, has allowed a junior team to play in Pakistan later this year.

"We are still to hear from the government about our request to allow the senior team to play in Pakistan," the official said.

The Board will also ratify extended terms for Wright, the former New Zealand captain who has been coaching the senior team for the last two years, and physiotherapist Andrew Leipus.

South African Gregory Allen King will be confirmed as the team's physical trainer in place of Adrian Le Roux, who resigned last month to take charge of the South African team.