Comitted to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 4 Num 58 Thu. July 24, 2003  
   
Front Page


Shamsunnahar Hall attack
Probe reports gather dust


The recommendations made by the three probe committees on police atrocities on the students of Shamsunnahar Hall of Dhaka University (DU) on July 23 last year have been shelved for months.

Necessary actions against the persons responsible are yet to be taken despite the submission of the reports by the government, DU authorities and police officials.

Police had stormed into the hall on the night of July 23, dragged students from the beds, verbally abused and assaulted them, leaving more than 50 injured.

The one-member judicial commission, formed on July 27 at the directive of Prime Minister Khaleda Zia headed by Justice M Tafazzul Islam, submitted the 500-page report to the home ministry on September 3 last year, holding some police officials responsible.

The report held Additional Deputy Commissioner Abdur Rahim responsible for the raid along with the then DU authorities.

The report submitted by the DU committee said intolerance, lack of mutual trust and conflict between the provost and the house tutors of the hall had led to the incident.

The nine recommendations of the report include cautioning the assistant proctors, transfer of the hall employees, and actions against the house tutors and Jannatul Kanon.

The committee formed by the police submitted its report on August 7 last year and found none of their officials guilty.

Kanon, one of the masterminds of the incident, is still staying at the hall while Lily and Mou, the associates of Lucy and Shanta, the other masterminds, have become president and general secretary of the JCD hall unit.

Sources said the JCD as ready to foil yesterday's protest programmes.

DU Vice Chancellor Prof SMA Faiz said some steps have been taken while some other steps would be taken soon.