Vol. 4 Num 68 Sun. August 03, 2003  

Joyous depiction of the mentally challenged
Popular performers join SWID in fund raiser

Society for the Welfare of the Intellectually Disabled (SWID), Bangladesh (Ramna branch) organised a fund raising programme at the Shishu Academy auditorium recently. Many popular singers and dancers along with the children of SWID performed in the programme.

SWID was established in 1977 and has 40 branches. About six hundred intellectually disabled children study in these schools. But the organisation gets only 60 % of the expenses from the government. The rest 40% has to be collected from such ceremonies. It surely is not an easy job.

The show was house-full and people were very enthusiastic. The performance began with a Manipuri dance performed by three girls-- dressed in colourful costumes, showering petals to the audience. Next the children of SWID came on stage and sang the song We shall overcome, carrying baskets inscribed with the lyrics of the song.

Popular Nazrul singer Ferdaus Ara, sang two songs one Nazrul and the other a song of yesteryears--Shaon ratey jodi and Akasher oi miti miti tarar shathey.

Magician couple Ulfat Kabir and Rukhsana Kabir performed magic. A group folk dance led by Kabirul Islam Ratan was an ecstatic performance with the song Arey o taratari chal. Popular singer Tapan Chowdhury sang four songs one after another as the children requested him to sing their favourite songs. Shakila Zafar also called the children on stage to sing with her. They sang Tumi amar prothom shakalbela.Later Shamim Ara Neepa, Shibli Mohammad and Deepa Khandokar performed dances in the programme.

Tapan Chowdhury presenting a popular number Mon shudhu mon chhueychhe, with the children.