Committed to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 5 Num 156 Thu. October 28, 2004  
   
Sports


Gibbs won't tour India


Opening batsman Herschelle Gibbs has ruled himself out of South Africa's forthcoming tour to India because of continued pressure from Indian police over his role in the 2000 match-fixing scandal.

Gibbs, 30, was banned for six months after admitting he had been approached by former captain Hansie Cronje and asked to accept money for under-performing although he said he had not gone through with the plan.

Now Delhi police have sent a list of questions to the United Cricket Board (UCB) of South Africa requesting that Gibbs provide answers.

"He has already dealt with these issues and legal processes have already taken their course," Gibbs' attorney Peter Whelan said.

"For him to once again be subjected to what amounts to cross-examination is inappropriate and morally and legally indefensible. In the circumstances my advice to Herschelle has been that he should not respond to the questions posed by the Delhi Police. He has elected to follow my advice."

Gibbs said: "I am extremely disappointed at having to declare myself unavailable for the tour. The questions sent from Delhi were very similar to those I answered four years ago. I have served my ban and in the process learnt a very hard lesson."