Vol. 5 Num 418 Sat. July 30, 2005  
Front Page

Banker commits suicide on his wedding day

Mystery shrouds the tragic death of a banker, who allegedly committed suicide yesterday on the day of his marriage ceremony at Mohammadpur in the city.

Shafiullah Patwari Sohel, 30, accounts officer of NCC Bank at Motijheel, hanged himself from the ceiling at his sister's Banshbari residence.

Sohel's relatives suspect that his would-be in-laws might have cancelled the marriage that prompted him to commit suicide. Sohel and his bride had had an affair for more than two years, but none of their relatives agreed their getting married, said one of Sohel's relatives.

Sohel's relatives gathered at his 41/11 Chand Miah Housing residence on his marriage ceremony, and to avoid the crowd Sohel, the youngest of eight siblings, went to his sister's house nearby for a rest, said his relatives.

Everything was alright in the morning. "He was quite jolly when he had his breakfast with me," Sohel's nephew Apu told The Daily Star. "I asked him what his would-be wife looks like since I never met her. 'Never mind, you would see her this evening,' was his reply."

He along with another nephew Toukir even went to a rent-a-car centre at Shyamoli to arrange a vehicle for the marriage ceremony.

Sohel then went to receive the relatives of the bride and another banker of Uttara Bank, who were supposed to come to Sohel's house at around 11:00am for discussion.

Things suddenly turned wrong when the bride's father, also a banker of the Bangladesh Bank, did not come with the group. Sohel might have had a talk with his in-laws or with the bride and then went to take rest at a room on the first floor at around 11:30pm.

Seeing no sign of him for more than an hour, a nephew knocked at the door. "There was no response," said Apu. "Then my elder brother broke into the room and we found him hanging from the ceiling with foams in the mouth."

Sohel was rushed to Bangladesh Medical College and Hospital and later Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) where the doctors declared him dead at 12:45pm.

In a separate incident, a garment employee Zarina Khatun committed suicide after quarrelling with a neighbouring woman yesterday noon. She hanged herself from the ceiling of her tin-roofed house at Station Road in Tongi.

Meanwhile, police recovered the body of a 10-year-old girl named Popy Aktar, who drowned in a pool at Bhashantek in Kafrul yesterday afternoon while collecting vegetables beside the water-body.

Three unnatural death cases were filed with the respective police stations.