Three ship-breaking workers die from gas poisoning |
Staff Correspondent, Ctg
Three workers died from inhaling poisonous gas trapped inside a scrap vessel
at Sagorika ship-breaking yard in Sitakunda upazila under the district on Saturday night.
The dead are Siddique Ahmad, 40, son of Abdul Baten of Mymensing, Mohammad Kalam, 35, son of Munshi Mia of Barisal, and Mohammad Rafiq, 33, son of Abdul Wahab of Jamalpur.
Cutter Siddique got inside the scrap vessel MV Star but as he did not come out till 10:00pm, his fellow workers, Kalam and Rafiq, went to know his condition but all the three became victims of poisonous gas inhalation by 10:30pm, witnesses said.
Other workers recovered the bodies after the trapped gas was cleared out.
The bodies of the killed workers were sent to their village homes after autopsy.