Vol. 5 Num 558 Wed. December 21, 2005  
Front Page

JCD leader, another killed in city

Two youths, including a Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal (JCD) leader, were gunned down while two others were bullet-hit in separate incidents in Mohakhali and Tejgaon of the city last night. Police recovered the body of another youth in Khilgaon.

The dead are Saidur Rahman, 27, assistant general secretary of JCD Titumir College unit, and Mohammad Mizan, 25, uncle of a JCD activist of Tejgaon College unit.

Saidur, an undergraduate student, was coming out of Mohakhali Wireless Gate Jame mosque after Esha prayers at about 8:00pm when some unidentified youths sprayed bullets on him and fled.

Critically injured Saidur, a resident of Cha/37/1 Mohakhali Wireless Gate, was rushed to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) where the doctors declared him dead.

The reason behind the killing could not be known immediately.

In another incident, some youths fired bullets at Mizan, uncle of JCD Tejgaon College unit activist Russell, while he was talking to some JCD men on the college campus at around 8:30pm.

JCD activist Farabi Raihan of the same unit, who witnessed the incident, said some youths walked towards them and fired bullets, leaving three injured.

Mizan of Kotalipara, Gopalganj, along with two JCD activists--Shawon, 22, a second-year student of political science, and Sabbir, 22, an undergraduate student--were taken to DMCH where the doctors declared Mizan dead.

Farabi told reporters that Mizan often used to visit the college and spent time with the JCD men.

Security guard Mohammad Rafique, who was on duty at that time, told The Daily Star that the three killers coming through the gate crossed the JCD group and fired on them from behind.

They fled the scene through the alley beside the Tejgaon College, he said.

Meanwhile, Khilgaon police found the body of one Mohammad Sohel, 25, a resident of 227/1 Bhuiyanpara, Khilgaon, from a pond at Block G in Rampur Banasree Project yesterday noon.

Sohel hailed from Mithapukur of Rangpur. He had been missing since some youths called him out of the mess he resided in Monday afternoon, his domestic help said.