Vol. 5 Num 627 Sat. March 04, 2006  
Front Page

Hunt down JMB patrons in Rajshahi, Naogaon
Victims of brutality demand

Locals in Bagmara of Rajshahi and Atrai, Raninagar of Naogaon demand the government trace and hunt down those who aided and abetted militant kingpins Abdur Rahman and Bangla Bhai in killing at least 22 people and maiming hundreds in 2004.

In reaction to the high profile capture of Rahman, a number of victims of brutal violence by Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) and Jagrata Muslim Janata, Bangladesh (JMJB) yesterday said the ones who backed Abdur Rahman and JMJB operations commander Siddiqul Islam alias Bangla Bhai in carrying out a reign of terror in the region must not be allowed to get off scot-free.

"You will find at least one victim a house in Bagmara and Atrai. So many people have been maimed for nothing," a college teacher had said, describing the situation after JMJB operations in 2004.

A host of policemen were guarding Abdur Rahman when he first came out in public in Naogaon and Rajshahi in late April, 2004 said sources. Bangla Bhai had already burst onto the scene earlier on April 1 the same year.

On May 4, 2004, Rahman held a press conference at Bhawaniganj Women's College in Bagmara. JMB Majlish-e-Sura Members Abdul Awal, Salauddin, Ataur Rahman Sunny and Khalid Saifullah were accompanying him at that time.

Bangla Bhai had introduced Rahman as his spiritual leader and chief of his organisation.

Over a dozen policemen and a huge number of cadres were surrounding him throughout the conference.

Rahman claimed that his outfit was on a mission to cleanse sarbaharas in the region.

"I had talks with some local lawmakers and politicians as well as some government officials. They were assisting us," he told the gathering recorded on videotapes.

After the press meet, he stayed in Bagmara for a few more days at the house of Ramjan Kaya. During the stay, he met local BNP and Jamaat leaders and addressed a women's gathering.

Rahman had been in control of the vigilante operations that left a trail of horror in less than two months. Bangla Bhai and his men were operating, following his instructions.

He was also in charge of the main JMJB concentration camp in Atrai of Naogaon.

Rahman along with Bangla Bhai and his cadres went into hiding at the end of May after the government had ordered for their arrest. They left Rajshahi on June 24, 2004 when local police officials reportedly informed them of the developments.