5 JMB men jailed for 78 years |
A Dhaka court yesterday sentenced five Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) members to 78 years' rigorous imprisonment in two cases filed for possessing illegal firearms, ammunition and explosives in January this year.
Meanwhile, a Dhaka court today is expected to deliver the verdict of a case filed against JMB military commander Ataur Rahman Sunny and five others in connection with an August 17 serial bomb blast last year.
The two cases -- one under the Arms Act and the other under the Explosive Substances Act -- were filed with Uttara Police Station on January 5.
The convicts are Wahidul Islam, 20, Shafiqul Islam, 30, Hafez Ibrahim, 30, Abdullah Al Faruq, 21, and Hanif, 22.
Judge Mohammad Rabiul
Hassan of the Second Additional Metropolitan Sessions Judge's Court handed down the verdict in presence of the convicts.
The judge gave 54 years' rigorous imprisonment for possessing illegal firearms, ammunition and 34 years' rigorous imprisonment for possessing explosives.
During the trial, prosecution and defence completed their arguments and the court recorded statements of 36 prosecution witnesses in each case.
Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) raided the house of Ruhul Amin Bhuiyan at Courtbari in Uttara in the capital on January 5 and seized 19 items of arms, explosives, books on jihad and bomb-making materials. They also arrested Wahidul Islam, Shafiqul Islam and Hafez Ibrahim.
Following information extracted from them, Rab arrested Abdullah Al Faruq and Hanif.
The team also seized 24kg of explosive, gunpowder, 1,200 grenade safety-pins and 100 grenade-heads.
On March 30, Rab pressed charges against the five JMB members, showing 36 people as prosecution witnesses.
The investigation officer dropped the name of Shakil, also known as Mollah Omar, from the charge sheet as he was killed in a fight with the law enforcers in Comilla on March 12.
Assistant Public Prosecutor Shahidul Islam Sardar appeared for the state while state appointed lawyers defended the accused.
VERDICT OF A CASE AGAINST SUNNY
A Dhaka court will deliver today the verdict of an August 17 bomb blast case filed against Ataur Rahman Sunny and five others.
Judge SM Mojibur Rahman of the First Additional Metropolitan Sessions Judge's Court will deliver the verdict at 11:00am, court sources said.
The five others accused are Rezaul Haq Reza, 25, of Jamalpur, Mustafizur Rahman Musa, 22, of Naogaon, Habibur Rahman Habib, 23, Abdullah Al Shohail, 25, of Gazipur and Mohammad Sagir Hossain, 35, of Dhaka.
Of them, Musa, Habib and Sagir are on the run while the rest are in the custody.
The prosecution and the defence completed their arguments earlier and the court recorded statements of 47 prosecution witnesses.
Reza had given a confessional statement to a magistrate, naming the other JMB militants involved in the blasts.
Detective Branch (DB) of Police on November 24 last year pressed charges against the four in connection with a blast near Zia Concourse Hall around 11:25am on August 17 last year.
Investigation officer (IO) of the case and DB Inspector Mohammad Fazlul Haq submitted the charge sheet to the Court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate, Dhaka.
The IO dropped the names of former Islamic Foundation director Maulana Fariduddin Masud and Israq Ahmad Siraji, accounts officer (part-timer) of Masud's Islahul Muslimeen Parishad of Bangladesh, and Sayeed Nizami, co-ordinator of the Parishad.
The IO said he dropped their names as the charges brought against them were found to be false, baseless and concocted.