Vol. 5 Num 1046 Sat. May 12, 2007  

Five killed in road accidents

Five people, including two children, were killed and 36 others injured in separate road accidents in Faridpur, Sirajganj and Mymensingh in the last two days.

In Faridpur, two members of a bridal party were killed and another injured yesterday afternoon.

Local sources said a brick-laden truck rammed into a motorcycle carrying three riders at about 3:30pm at Mohishala village in Boalmari, killing two on the spot and injuring one.

The dead were identified as Babul Biswas, 25, and Hafizur Biswas, 35, of Garakhola village in Madhukhali upazila.

Seriously injured Mithun was admitted to Modhukhali Hospital.

The three were leading the bridal party, which was going to Shotasia village in the upazila.

A case was filed with Boalmari thana.

Police seized the truck, but the driver and helper managed to escape.


A man was killed and 35 people, including a staff reporter of Bangladesh Television, were injured in separate road accidents in the district yesterday.

Police said the first accident took place at 12:00 noon as a bus overturned at Sarutia in Sadar upazila, killing an unidentified man and injuring 30 other people.

In the second accident, a truck rammed into a microbus carrying journalists of BTV and Press Information Department (PIB), on the connecting road of the Jamuna Bridge at about 5:00pm, injuring five.

The journalists were returning to the capital after covering a programme of Energy Adviser Tapan Chowdhury.

Fifteen people injured in two road accidents were admitted to Sirajganj Sadar Hospital and local clinics.

Condition of five injured people, including BTV reporter Pervez Hasan, was stated critical. They were shifted to Dhaka.


Two children were crushed under the wheels of a microbus at Akua Bangarpol in the district town on Thursday.

The victims were identified as Papia, 4, and Sakib, 3.

Police and witnesses said the Fulbaria-bound speeding microbus from Mymensingh town ran over the two children who were standing on roadside at about 11:00am, leaving them critically injured.

They were rushed to Mymensingh Medical College Hospital where the doctors declared them dead.