Published: Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Abducted 4 months ago, police yet to rescue college girl

Whereabouts of a college girl, who was abducted from Mymensingh district town over four moths ago, is yet to be traced, thanks to the indifference of the law enforcers.
The 17-year-old girl of Dhonbari upazila in Tangail, who comes from Hindu community, remained missing since the gang took her to a Teesta River basin char at Kisamot Chinatuli village under Lalmonirhat Sadar upazila after her abduction on July 2.
Police and family sources said, on the fateful day, a gang kidnapped the girl, a medical college admission seeker, while she was going to a coaching centre in Mymensingh town.
Confining her to a place at Kisamot Chinatuli village, the abductors demanded Tk three lakh ransom from her family members over mobile phone.
On August 20, the mother of the victim filed a case with Kotwali Model police station in Mymensingh, accusing one Shah Sultan Ahmed Raju, 26, his parents Abdul Jabbar, 56, and Sahera Begum, 46, of the village in this connection.
On secret information, a team of Lalmonirhat Sadar police, led by its sub-inspector Zahurul Islam, raided the house of the accused at Kisamot Chinatuli on the night of August 25 but they were resisted and attacked by the abductors, their relatives and neighbours.
Later, the abductors managed to flee the scene with the girl and since then police could not trace the whereabouts of the girl. A case was then filed with Sadar police station against 30 people in this regard.
The law enforcers are now showing reluctance to rescue the girl, alleged the victim’s family members.
Police, however, said that they were raiding different areas to arrest the abductors and rescue the girl.