Published: Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Attack In N'ganj

Accused Jubo League man released

Jubo League activist Jahirul Islam Bhuiyan alias Parvez has been released nine hours after his arrest in connection with attacking a protest rally of Narayanganj Sangskritik Jote on Sunday at Chashara Shaheed Minar.
Police said they had handed Parvez over to his family, as he needed to be hospitalised due his injuries from beating by Jote activists.
Jote members alleged that Manjur Kader, acting officer-in-charge (OC) of Narayanganj Sadar Model Police Station, had refused record a case against Parvez.
Joint secretary of the Jote Monirul Islam had lodged two complaints against Parvez for attacking their programme and assaulting him.
Meanwhile, In-charge of Chashara police Sub-inspector Abul Kalam has filed a case accusing 135 to 150 unnamed people for hindering police duty and attacking law enforcers when they were rescuing Parvez.
He said they would identify the suspects examining video footage and photos.
Five policemen were injured — one was hospitalised — in the clashes between Jote activists and police.
At a press briefing in Narayanganj press club, members of Santrash Nirmul Toki Mancha alleged that police were siding with Parvez and had used truncheons and rubber bullets on them without any provocation.
A total of 25 of their activists had been injured in the “police attack”, they claimed.
Rafiur Rabbi, former president of the Jote and father of slain Tanvir Mohammad Toki alleged that Parvez had attacked the meeting to kill him.
Meanwhile, Parvez had filed a complaint with the model police station against Rafiur Rabbi and 20 to 30 unnamed people. He stated that Rabbi and a few others had picked him up from a rally in the afternoon and grievously injured him in a bid to kill him.