Published: Friday, July 26, 2013

Death toll rises to 11 in Indonesia boat capsize

The confirmed death toll from the sinking of a boatload of Australia-bound asylum-seekers rose to 11 yesterday , as rescuers continued searching the seas off Indonesia for survivors.
Local police spokesman Achmad Suprijatna told AFP two more bodies were found Thursday morning, two days after the boat sank off the southwestern coast of Java.
“One was a 30-year-old Iranian, and the other a five-year-old Sri Lankan boy,” he said, adding 189 had been saved.