Published: Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Submit Tazreen compensation report July 18, says HC

File photo

File photo

The High Court on Wednesday directed the chief factory inspector and the BGMEA to submit a repot on July 18 on the compensation given to the Tazreen fire victims.

A devastated fire at Tazreen in Ashulia on November 24 last year killed at least 112 people and injured many others.

The court also asked Delwar Hossain, owner of Tazreen Fashions Ltd, to further appear before it on July 18.

Delwar appeared before the High Court bench of Justice Quazi Rezal-Ul Hoque and Justice ABM Altab Hossain Wednesday morning as per its June 9 order.

The HC was scheduled to hear a rule on Wednesday that was issued on the government earlier to explain why the people responsible for the incident of fire should not be punished and why the victims of the incident should not be compensated.

The court did not pass any order against Delwar during the day’s hearing because the government did not submit the home ministry probe report on the fire incident.

Deputy Attorney General Bishwojit Roy however submitted the report before the High Court bench after the court adjourned its hearing on the issue.

The bench however fixed July 18 for passing a further order on the issue.

Earlier on June 11, a government body to probe the devastating fire has found “unpardonable neglect” on the part of the owner but said the incident might have been “subversive”.

The committee, formed by the home ministry, recommended that the owner of the factory be tried under Section 304 (A) of the Penal Code, which hands down only five years’ imprisonment as maximum punishment.

Delwar, the managing director of the garment factory, ruled out his responsibility in connection with the fire and claimed he was innocent.

Earlier, he told The Daily Star that law enforcers had not arrested him as there were no specific charges against him.

Some of the security workers were responsible for the disaster and they were absconding, he added.