Published: Friday, April 26, 2013

War against Afghan’s Taliban being won: Nato

Nato insisted yesterday that the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan is being won, despite reports by other organisations of a sharp upsurge in insurgent attacks this year.
US General Joseph Dunford, head of the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), said there was “indisputable” progress towards the goal of a secure and stable nation.
A study by the Afghanistan NGO Safety Office found attacks by the Taliban and other insurgents rose 47 percent in January-March compared with the same period last year.
The United Nations has separately reported a rise of almost 30 percent in civilian casualties in the first quarter compared with the same period last year, with 475 civilians killed and 872 wounded.
Dunford in a statement gave no figures for attacks but said 80 percent of them were in areas where less than 20 percent of the population lives.
Equally importantly, he said, surveys showed that Afghans “will simply not tolerate the oppressive policies imposed by the former Taliban government”.