Home | Back Issues | Contact Us | News Home
“All Citizens are Equal before Law and are Entitled to Equal Protection of Law”-Article 27 of the Constitution of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh

Issue No: 114
April 11, 2009

This week's issue:
Human Rights advocacy
Human Rights monitor
Good News
Law update
Laws For everyday life
Law news
For Your information
Law lexicon
Law Ammusement
Law Week

Back Issues

Law Home

News Home


For Your information

What to do in a road traffic accident

The first rule is Don't Panic!
* Ensure everyone involved is safe. Switch off the engines of all vehicles involved.
*Activate hazard warning lights and alert oncoming traffic about the accident.
*In the event of serious injury, or obstruction, call the emergency services.
vRemain calm, do not admit liability or offer any form of settlement.
*By law the vehicles should not be moved. However if they are causing a serious hazard do so, but not until an independent witness has noted their position.
vAfter any form of accident you must, by law, STOP.
*Again by law, you must inform the police of the accident and if there has been any injury. *You are also bound by law to present your motor vehicle insurance details to the police.
*Exchange details with the other parties involved. This will include: names and addresses of the drivers and owners of the vehicles, together with registration numbers of the vehicles and insurance details.
*Draw a sketch plan of the area, showing the road layout, the position of the vehicles involved, named of surrounding roads, traffic signs, road widths, markings and skid marks.
*If your vehicle needs moving, the attending police will arrange this and have it taken to a safe depot or garage.

What to do after the accident
*Ensure that you contact your insurer or insurance broker and inform them immediately of accident.
*Your insurance broker will handle all the arrangements to get your car inspected by an independent assessor.
*If your insurance allows, your insurer will arrange for a replacement vehicle if yours is not road worthy.
*If the accident was not your fault, or any of your passengers were injured, it would be wise to contact a solicitor who will pursue a claim on your behalf.


Source: www.insureyourmotor.com


© All Rights Reserved