<%-- Page Title--%> Write to Mita <%-- End Page Title--%>

<%-- Volume Number --%> Vol 1 Num 158 <%-- End Volume Number --%>

June 11, 2004

<%-- Navigation Bar--%>
<%-- Navigation Bar--%>

Dear Mita,
I am a 24-year-old boy. Last December, I appeared in my honours final exam under National University but it is uncertain when the results will come out. Because of this, I couldn't apply to any public universities for my post graduation and I can't bear the cost of a private university either as I come from a middle-class family and my father is a retired government employee. I can't even apply for a job. I'm very frustrated and sometimes lose interest in a higher education as most of my friends have graduated and are doing good jobs. Please help.
--Concerned M

Dear Concerned,
You are not the only one suffering because of our faulty education system. There are many who face problems of session jams, late result etc but cope and adjust since this is the reality of our system. YOU should apply for jobs but let them know that your results are due to come out soon. You can also do the same for public Universities who should be aware of your problem. Getting frustrated and losing interest will not help you--rather staying focused and determined will help you attain your goal.

Dear Mita,
I'm a fresher at university. My problem concerns my father. He always keeps arguing over very silly matters especially with my mother. Sometimes their arguments turn physical. My mother has even been injured a number of times as a result. All this is because my father is extremely fussy and is never satisfied with what others do. Our relatives have tried talking to him, but in vain. He has made life for the rest of the family intolerable. Is there anything I can do?

Dear Crestfallen,
This is a very difficult situation for your family. Your father has been behaving this way for many years and will not change now. He has been allowed to have things his way for too long without facing any resistance. Nothing you say or do will make any difference. The only thing left is to have a big confrontation and warn him of very dire consequences if he does not change his behaviour towards your mother. This however needs the consensus of the entire family and especially your mother.

Dear Mita,
I am a student of Chittagong University in the department of economics. When I speak in English I think it is wrong when it actually isn't but I don't speak English with courage because of this. How can I overcome this problem?

Dear HR,
The solution is actually very simple. Just continue to speak. The more you speak the more confidence you will gain and the better you will get. Remember, this is not your mother tongue, therefore you are not suppose to speak perfect English. Just try to speak the best way you can and that is enough.







(C) Copyright The Daily Star. The Daily Star Internet Edition, is published by The Daily Star