Mixed Bag of Factsn
Ten percent of all human beings ever born are alive at this
* A person afflicted with hexadectylism has six fingers or
six toes on one or both hands and feet.
* About 10% of the world's population is left-handed.
* Barbers at one time combined shaving and haircutting with
bloodletting and pulling teeth. The white stripes on a field
of red that spiral down a barber pole represent the bandages
used in the bloodletting.
* Hans Christian Andersen, Cher, Tom Cruise, Albert Einstein,
Whoopie Goldberg, Greg Louganis, Lee Harvey Oswald, and Gen.
George S. Patton, are (were) all dyslexics.
* Humans are the only animals that copulate face to face.
* Julius Caesar and Napoleon Bonaparte both suffered from
* Julius Caesar, Martin Luther and Jonathan Swift all suffered
from Ménièr's disease. It is a disorder of the
hearing and balance senses causing hissing, roaring or whistling
sounds to be perceived.
* Men commit suicide three times more frequently than women
do. But women attempt suicide two to three times more often
* Midgets and dwarfs almost always have normal-sized children,
even if both parents are midgets or dwarfs.
* More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air
* Offered a new pen to write with, 97% of all people will
write their own name.
* Over 80% of professional boxers have suffered brain damage.
* Texas was one of the first American states to adopt capital
punishment by lethal injection -- in 1977.
* The ashes of the average cremated person weigh nine pounds.
* The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
* The average person is about a quarter of an inch taller
* The average person laughs about 15 times a day.
* The average person walks the equivalent of twice around
the world in a lifetime.
* The most common name in the world is Mohammed.
* The most popular first name in the world is Muhammad.
* The New York phone book had 22 Hitlers listed before World
War II ... and none after.
* The three best-known western names in China: Jesus Christ,
Richard Nixon, and Elvis Presley.
* The vocabulary of the average person consists of 5,000 to
* While sleeping, one man in eight snores, and one in ten
grinds his teeth.
* Women shoplift more often than men; the statistics are 4
* You share your birthday with at least nine million other
people around the world.
* The shortest war on record, between Britain and Zanzibar
in 1896, lasted just 38 minutes.
* Acupuncture was first used as a medical treatment in 2700
BC by Chinese emperor Shen-Nung.
* Canada declared national beauty contests canceled as of
1992, claiming they were degrading to women.
* Everyone in the Middle Ages believed -- as Aristotle had
-- that the heart was the seat of intelligence.
* In 1892, Italy raised the minimum age for marriage for girls
- to 12.
* In the Holocaust between 5.1 and 6 million of Europe's 10
million Jews were killed. An additional 6 million 'unwanted'
people were also executed, including more than half of Poland's
* Members of the Nazi SS had their blood type tattooed on
* On Dec. 10th 1901 the 1st Nobel prizes were awarded. Literature
- Rene Sully-Prudhomme; Physiology - Emil von Behring; Chemistly
- Jacobus van't Hoff; Physics - Wilhelm Roentgen; Peace -
Jean Henri Dunant Frederic Passy.
* The ancient Egyptians slept on pillows made of stone.
* The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by
Egyptians in 2000 BC.
* The Hundred Year War actually lasted 116 years (1337 to
* The longest reigning monarch in history was Pepi II, who
ruled Egypt for 90 years; 2566 to 2476 BC. The second longest
was France's Louis XIV, who ruled for 72 years, 1643 to 1715.
* The worldwide "Spanish Flu" epidemic which broke
out in 1918 killed more than 30 million people in less than
a year's time.
Trivial Trivia Collection of Unusual Facts
(R) thedailystar.net 2004