most of the people around the country struggled to survive
in the worst flood since 1998, there were people from all
walks of life who came forward to lend their hands. Amidst
the devastation and sufferings, their efforts helped the flood-effected
people around the country see the ray of hope. Alongside efforts
by the NGOs and the government, students, businessmen, journalists
and artists joined hands in raising funds; some provided daily
meals, while the others made the much-needed oral saline for
the flood affected people. SWM salutes these people who made
Photographs by Zahedul I Khan
1) Works in progress: In the
Teachers and Student Centre cafeteria of the Dhaka University
Chhatra Union activists are rolling dough to prepare rotis
for flood-affected people.
2) Students at the Institute of Fine Arts lend support to
raise funds by selling paintings.
3) A smiling girl after receiving food.
4) Families in Gulshan took turn in feeding 15 hundred flood-victims
5) Activists of Samajtantric Chhatra Front preparing oral
6) During a sale of original art works Artist Humiduzzaman
Khan works on a drawing as Alokesh Ghosh looks on.
(R) thedailystar.net 2004