Between 1931 and 1969 Walt Disney collected 35 Oscars.
* "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson was the first
video to air on MTV by a black artist.
* By the time a child finishes elementary school she will
have witnessed 8,000 murders and 100,000 acts of violence
* Chocolate syrup was used for blood in the famous 45 second
shower scene in Alfred Hitchcock's movie, Psycho, which actually
took 7 days to shoot.
* Even though they broke up 25 years ago, the Beatles continue
to sell more records each year than the Rolling Stones.
* George Harrison, with "My Sweet Lord," was the
first Beatle to have a Number 1 hit single following the group's
* "Happy Birthday" was the first song to be performed
in outer space, sung by the Apollo IX astronauts on March
* In October 1959, Elizabeth Taylor became the first Hollywood
star to receive $1 million for a single picture (for Cleopatra).
* Napoleon Bonaparte is the historical figure most often portrayed
in movies. He has been featured in 194 movies, Jesus Christ
in 152, and Abraham Lincoln in 137.
* The 1st interracial kiss on TV took place Nov. 22, 1968
between Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and Lt.Uhura
(Nichelle Nichols) on an episode of "Star Trek."
* The 1st kiss in a movie was between May Irwin and John Rice
in "The Widow Jones," in 1896.
* The 1st live televised murder was in 1963, when Jack Ruby
killed JFK's assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald while millions of
* The characters of Homer, Marge, Lisa, and Maggie were given
the same first names as Simpsons creator Matt Groening's real-life
father, mother and two sisters.
* The term karaoke means "empty orchestra" in Japanese
and the karaoke machine was designed originally to provide
backing tracks for solo cabaret performers.
* The Wizard of Oz was a Broadway musical 37 years before
the MGM movie version was made. It had 293 performances and
then went on a tour that lasted 9 years.
* Time magazine's "Man of the Year" for 1938 was
(R) thedailystar.net 2004