Home  -  Back Issues  -  The Team  -  Contact Us
     Volume 4 Issue 63 | September 16, 2005 |

   News Notes
   Straight Talk
   Cover Story
   Food For Thought
   Time Out
   Dhaka Diary
   Book Revew
   New Flicks
   Write to Mita

   SWM Home


Write to Mita

Dear Mita,
I have been working for a high-profile group of companies since November of last year. My employers had assured me that if I performed well I would be made permanent, but I still have not, though I put in around 10.5 hours a day. My guardians have asked me to resign and concentrate on preparing for the Bangladesh Civil Service (BCS) exam but I am not very confident about it. What should I do -- quit this job or look for another one while still working here?

Dear Wondering,
You should have a talk with your employer as to why you have not been confirmed. Perhaps you have given a lot of time but your performance has not been up to the mark. Even if you concentrate on the SCS exams, you should not leave your present job. Remember, it is easier to find a job when you have a job rather than when you are jobless.

Dear Mita,
I am a final year Honours student of sociology. As with most other subjects, writing and speaking English is essential for me. But, though I write a little, I have a lot of trouble speaking in English. What can I do to overcome this problem?

Dear AJ,
The more you speak English the faster you will learn to speak. There is no short cut to this. You must get over your shyness and speak whenever you get the chance. Try to read the newspaper aloud and also take the help of audio and video cassettes.

Dear Mita,
I am a 20-year-old student of English at Dhaka College and have recently completed my first term final exams. I always had a keen interest in learning English and though I had to enroll in a college under National University, I did not lose hope. I have given my IELTS under the British Council in which I scored 5.5. I want to improve my English skills even more. As far as I know, you can give your GRE, SAT and GMAT from Bangladesh, but these also include mathematics. What can I do to work with only the English language? My father, a government employee, is also pressurising me to start an effective English language course before I start second term at college. Please help me.

Dear S,
I am sorry I cannot help you. You must take the help of students who have appeared in such exams. As far as I know, there are no tests without mathematics. However, there are other ways of improving your English. The British Council offers courses in English, which you might explore.

Copyright (R) thedailystar.net 2005