Home  -  Back Issues  -  The Team  -  Contact Us
     Volume 4 Issue 71 | November 18, 2005 |

   News Notes
   Cover Story
   Straigh Talk
   Food For Thought
   Slice of Life
   Time Out
   Dhaka Diary
   Book Review
   New Flicks
   Write to Mita

   SWM Home

Write to Mita

Dear Mita,
I am a 27-year-old man working in a private company. I recently made a friend online and, in a short time, we had a very good relationship. She was the same age as me and seemed really nice and we became good friends. A few days ago, however, I told her something I shouldn't have so soon. I'm really ashamed of myself. There was a time when we used to send each other five text messages a day, but now she has stopped all contact with me. I miss her a lot and want to go back to being like we were before. What can I do?

Dear V,
There is nothing much you can do but apologise and request her to forgive you. As I do not know what you said I cannot give my opinion. However, you are an adult and should know the difference between what is offensive and what is not. If you make a sincere effort I am sure she will forgive you eventually.

Dear Mita,
I am a 23-year-old woman. Recently, I haven't been able to sleep at night. I read, listen to music, go online, but I can't sleep. I get headaches and my eyes are swollen. What should I do?

Dear E,
This is a physiological phenomenon called Insomnia and there are treatments available. Normally it is due to stress or medical reasons which disturbs the sleep pattern. You should consult a doctor. Often it can be cured by analysing the reasons for lack of sleep and eliminating those reasons. However, this is not normal for a 23-year-old and you should get professional help soon.

Dear Mita,
We are two friends in Class 6, living in Narayanganj. We want to learn English well so we can speak it fluently. Please advise us as to how we should go about it.

Dear F&S,
There is no good formula but the only way you can learn English is to speak it as much as possible. You may also take the help of videos and cassettes. Get in touch with your teachers in school, perhaps they can help you.

Copyright (R) thedailystar.net 2005