Trivia about Chocolate
1. A recent study indicates when men crave food, they tend to crave fat and salt. When women crave food, they tend to desire chocolate.
2. American and Russian space flights have always included chocolate.
3. Aztec emperor Montezuma drank 50 golden goblets of hot chocolate every day. It was thick, dyed red and flavored with chili peppers.
4. Chocolate contains phenylethylamine (PEA), a natural substance that is reputed to stimulate the same reaction in the body as falling in love.
5. Chocolate syrup was used for blood in the famous 45 second shower scene in Alfred Hitchcock's movie, Psycho, which actually took 7 days to shoot.
6. German chocolate cake did not originate in Germany. In 1852, Sam German developed a sweet baking bar for Baker's Chocolate Co. The product was named in honour of him -- Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate.
7. In 1900, Queen Victoria sent her New Year's greetings to the British troops stationed in South Africa during the Boer War in the form of a specially moulded chocolate bar.
8 In Hershey, Pennsylvania, the streetlights along "Chocolate Avenue" are in the shape of Hershey Kisses.
9. It's a common myth that chocolate aggravates acne. Experiments conducted at the University of Pennsylvania and the U.S. Naval Academy found that consumption of chocolate -- even frequent daily dietary intake -- had no effect on the incidence of acne. Professional dermatologists today do not link acne with diet.
10. One plain milk chocolate candy bar has more protein than a banana.
11. Pet parrots can eat virtually any common "people-food" except for chocolate and avocados. Both of these are highly toxic to the parrot and can be fatal.
12. The botanical name of the chocolate plant is Theobramba cacao, which means "Food of the Gods."
13. The melting point of cocoa butter is just below the human body temperature -- which is why it literally melts in your mouth.
14. The term "white chocolate" is a misnomer. Under Federal Standards of Identity, real chocolate must contain chocolate liquor. "White" chocolate contains no chocolate liquor.
15. The theobromine in chocolate that stimulates the cardiac and nervous systems is too much for dogs, especially smaller pups. A chocolate bar is poisonous to dogs and can even be lethal.
(R) thedailystar.net 2006