The Daily Star

Your Right To Know
Friday, August 22, 2014

Thursday, November 11, 2010
National

BCL-Shibir Clash at Osmani Medical

23 more Shibir men held, probe body convener changed

The authorities of Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College yesterday changed the convener of the probe committee that they had formed in the academic council meeting on Tuesday afternoon.

Associate Professor of Cardiology Md Shahab Uddin will now work as convener of the five-men committee to probe into the Tuesday's BCL-Shibir clash that left at least 38 people injured.

Associate professor of Surgery Shakhawat Hossain, who was made the convener of the committee, through a letter to the principal yesterday expressed his inability to perform the job on 'personal grounds', an official said, adding that another member would also be included in the committee.

Meanwhile, the probe committee members yesterday started their job and talked to some of the injured people in the hospital. They also collected some alamats (samples) and photos of the canteen and windows of some adjoining rooms that were vandalised during the clash. Besides, they collected some blood stained aprons and broken portraits of the father of the nation.

As the committee requested for a time extension, it would be given one week more, college Vice Principal Prof Harun Ur Rashid told this correspondent yesterday evening.

It was earlier asked to file report in three working days, ending today (Thursday). However, the probing would be hampered due to the Eid vacation. Besides, most of the injured had left Sylhet Tuesday with their families, he said.

The college authority announced the Eid vacation from November 10 to 22 although it was earlier scheduled from November 14 to 20.

Prof Harun said the admission process would continue till November 15, if needed. Meanwhile, 175 out of the 178 students selected for the college had already completed their admission process till yesterday, he added.

Sylhet Kotwali police arrested 23 activists of Islami Chhatra Shibir early yesterday from different private dormitories of the city. They were shown arrested in the cases filed in connection with the November 8 clash. The arrestees, students of different colleges, were produced before a judicial magistrate's court where from they were sent to the jail, police said.

The number of arrestees in connection with the incident has now stood at 70.

At least 38 people, including 25 BCL men, sustained injuries in the clash that took place when the activists of the rival student organisations were trying to win over the new entrants.

BCL activists alleged that a number of outsider Shibir men joined the attack on them that day.

Share on



 






 

 


advertisement

 


The Daily Star

© thedailystar.net, 1991-2014. All Rights Reserved