The Daily Star

Your Right To Know
Saturday, December 20, 2014

Monday, August 13, 2012
Front Page

Medical Colleges

No admission test this year

There will be no admission tests for public and private medical colleges this year as students will be enrolled on the basis of their SSC and HSC results.

This was decided at a meeting at the health ministry yesterday with Health and Family Welfare Minister AFM Ruhal Haque in the chair.

The meeting decided that the candidates must have at least a combined GPA of 8 in Secondary School Certificate (SSC) and Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) to apply for admission, said an official who attended the meeting.

The official, however, said the authorities were yet to decide on the minimum individual GPA required in SSC and HSC or outline the technical details of how to fill up the limited seats with students from amongst thousands of top-graders applying for admission to medical colleges.

"For foreign students, their GPA-7 will be equivalent to our GPA-8," the official added.

Sources in the ministry said the decision was made to prevent irregularities centering around admission tests. Besides, holding the admission tests is a huge task, and the risk of question papers leaking out always remains, they added.

Earlier, students were enrolled in the medical colleges through admission tests. The government last year took a combined medical and dental admission test for both public and private medical colleges.

Health Secretary Humayun Kabir, senior officers of the ministry, representatives of Bangladesh Medical Association and representatives of private medical colleges were present at the meeting.

There are 22 government medical colleges that can accommodate around 2,811 students while 53 private medical colleges have 4,245 seats. Last year, around 40,000 candidates applied for admission.

Share on



 





Why the government does have to change the decision at the last minute when many of the candidates are preparing for the admission tests? The admission tests allow the deserving candidates to get admission. It creates a doubt that the government has dubious intentions of misusing the 'merit' list for its political gains.

: Bonnie Rashid

I think it is a good idea.

: Rokib haque

Comments

  • M. A. Rakib
    Monday, August 13, 2012 02:51 AM GMT+06:00 (123 weeks ago)

    This is not the appropriate system. Admission test is the best way of selecting meritorious student. The govt. authorities should think more deeply regarding this matter.

  • Md. Fazlul Karim
    Monday, August 13, 2012 07:22 AM GMT+06:00 (123 weeks ago)

    This decision is very ridiculous in many aspects. First, why is decision taken just before admission? Why they cannot understand it one year before. It is like a childish behaviour. Second: They could go for short selection for admission test which could not only examine the merit but also help uplifting the rural students who sometimes can not perform expected result because of proper guidance. Do they think our education standard is same all over the country? Even admission test is taken in many 100% educated countries where level of standard of education is almost uniform.

  • tanjil
    Monday, August 13, 2012 09:07 AM GMT+06:00 (123 weeks ago)

    Nice idea.

  • kishore
    Monday, August 13, 2012 10:04 AM GMT+06:00 (123 weeks ago)

    The best system is combined merit list of SSC, HSC and admission test. Admission test will be a time-based, extensive 3 hours MCQ test to assess one's real IQ about how one can answer fast and accurately. But problem is that, to take a test of a huge number of students is not so easy. There is every chance of corruption at every level. We have to find out a suitable way to do that in a fair way. If can, that will be the best. Coaching centre facility must be avoided because many students cannot avail of this facility and then fail to achieve an expected result. It is an extra burden for the students as well as the guardians.

  • Mahbubur Rahman Sharif
    Monday, August 13, 2012 10:52 AM GMT+06:00 (123 weeks ago)

    Students who have genius but failed to make good result at any cause of the life, are prohibited to enroll in the medical college. Published result does not indicate good students it depends on other indicators. Government have been able to ban coaching center in exchange of that cut the head actually. Students of some institution will get prefer than others which is our great regret. Open competition should have for higher education.

  • Concerned Citizen
    Monday, August 13, 2012 12:06 PM GMT+06:00 (123 weeks ago)

    This is a horrible decision! You cannot take such a huge step right before the admission test. The authorities are playing with the lives of thousands of aspiring students who have been working relentlessly for the last one-year preparing for the admission test. Such a hasty decision only hints at an ulterior motive behind this. Major national dailies should stand up for all the deprived students who will be unfairly cut off from the chance to live their dream to be a doctor one day.

  • Saleh Md Shahriar
    Monday, August 13, 2012 01:41 PM GMT+06:00 (123 weeks ago)

    The decision is not taken with a participative discussion with the stakeholders who are the students, teachers, parents, educationists and experts. It has taken unilaterally. Some prospective students are likely to be benefited. Others will be harmed with that policy decision. To me it would be wise if the decision will be implemented from the next year, not now. Moreover, the new system will be a harmful one, as it has no competitive examination. Of course, no decision is better than a bad decision.


 

 


advertisement

 


The Daily Star

© thedailystar.net, 1991-2014. All Rights Reserved