The Skype conversation between the former chief of International Crimes Tribunal-1 and an expatriate Bangaldeshi legal expert had been recorded by a quarter over a long period aiming to stop the ongoing trial proceedings against the war crimes accused, Attorney General Mahbubey Alam claimed yesterday.
Asserting the claim, he said, “It was published at the time when the verdict of a [war crimes] case was imminent.”
The quarter is so desperate that they committed heinous activities like hacking and has appointed lobbyists abroad, the attorney general told journalists after visiting the International Crimes Tribunal.
Justice Md Nizamul Huq, chairman of tribunal-1, resigned on Tuesday amid controversy over the leak of his Skype conversation.
The tribunal-1 has been conducting proceedings against four war crimes accused--Jamaat's Ghulam Azam, Motiur Rahman Nizami, and Delawar Hossain Sayedee and BNP leader Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury. Among the four cases, Sayedee's was awaiting verdict.
Mahbubey Alam said, “Right to communication is enshrined in the constitution. Those who hacked [email and Skype accounts] have not only violated the constitutional right of the chairman but also committed offence.”
Replying to a question, he said a judge could take legal advices from his friends on sub-judice matters.
Mentioning that the quarter had been trying in various ways to stop the trial, the attorney general said, “They are now raising the demand of commencing the trial from its very beginning, and that is ridiculous.” According to law, the trial will start from where it stopped, he said.