The defence counsels of war crimes accused Delawar Hossain Sayedee placed their closing arguments for a sixth day at the International Crimes Tribunal-1 yesterday.
Though the Tribunal-1 earlier fixed three days to complete the argument, the defence has so far placed around 23 hours' arguments in 11 sessions following the time extension by the court based on defence appeal.
The prosecution, however, completed its argument on factual aspects within the time stipulated by the tribunal.
Chief defence counsel Abdur Razzaq yesterday told the tribunal that he would complete his argument today.
After hearing extensive arguments from the prosecution and the defence, the tribunal had closed the argument on December 6 last year, keeping the case waiting for verdict.
But, the Tribunal-1 on January 3 decided to rehear the closing arguments as it was reconstituted following the resignation of Justice Nizamul Huq, chairman of the tribunal, amid controversy over his Skype conversation with a Brussels-based Bangladeshi lawyer.
In the afternoon session, Justice ATM Fazle Kabir, who replaced Nizamul Huq, asked Razzaq to complete his argument by yesterday.
Razzaq said the purpose of his submission was to assist the court. “If you are not assisted, then tell me. I will conclude.”
The tribunal chairman then allowed him to continue his argument.
Razzaq argued that in no way Sayedee was involved in mass killing and that the prosecution had failed to produce any evidence in this regard.
He also referred to some international cases to the tribunal.
Sayedee, facing 20 charges for crimes against humanity allegedly committed by him during the Liberation War in 1971, was present at the Tribunal.
Two other members of the tribunal -- Justice Jahangir Hossain Selim and Justice Anwarul Haque -- heard the defence argument for the second time.
The proceeding of the case was adjourned until today.