The Daily Star

Your Right To Know
Monday, February 8, 2016

Monday, February 4, 2013
Front Page

Mufti Hannan revealed Hawa Bhaban plot

Magistrate tells of Huji leader's confessional statement citing bigwigs' role in grenade attacks

Huji leader Mufti Abdul Hannan in his 2011 confessional statement named some intelligence and political bigwigs, including Khaleda Zia's son Tarique Rahman, as masterminds of the August 21 grenade assault launched to assassinate Sheikh Hasina.

AHM Habibur Rahman Bhuiyan, the then additional chief metropolitan magistrate who had recorded the statement, told a Dhaka court about its content yesterday.

Hannan, chief of banned militant outfit Harkatul Jihad al Islami (Huji), was in the dock while Habibur, now an additional Dhaka judge, was giving his testimony on recording the confessional statement.

The Daily Star has obtained a copy of Hannan's statement.

The Huji leader had also narrated some conspiratorial meetings to assassinate Awami League chief Sheikh Hasina, the then opposition leader.

He was present at the meeting along with some influential leaders and ministers of BNP and Jamaat-e-Islami, Huji leaders and top intelligence officials.

Tarique, then senior joint secretary general of BNP, assigned two party leaders -- state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar and deputy minister Abdus Salam Pintu -- to provide all out assistance to the Huji men to carry out the attack.

Tarique, elder son of former prime minister Khaleda Zia, is now the party's senior vice chairman.

“Before the grenade attack on an Awami League rally on August 21, 2004, I along with several other Huji leaders went to Hawa Bhaban,” Hannan said in the statement.

Hawa Bhaban was the political office of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia.

There, the militant leader said, he found Tarique, Abul Harris Chowdhury, former state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar, Abdus Salam Pintu, BNP lawmaker Kazi Shah Mofazzal Hossain Kaikobad and Jamaat-e-Islami Secretary General Ali Ahsan Muhammad Mojaheed.

Brigadier General Abdur Rahim, then director general of National Security Intelligence (NSI), and Brigadier General Rezzakul Haider Chowdhury, then director general of Directorate General of Forces Intelligence (DGFI), were also present.

“I informed them about the plan of grenade attack on Awami League rally, which was to be addressed by Sheikh Hasina, and sought their assistance.”

Tarique then assured them of full support and told them to communicate with Babar and Pintu for administrative assistance, the statement read.

Hannan began his statement saying that AL was defeated in 2001 general election and BNP and Jamaat-e-Islami formed the government.

His organisation tried to strengthen its relation with BNP. Huji ameer Moulana Abdus Salam, Sheikh Farid, Moulana Yahiya, Abu Bakar and Jahangir Badar contacted BNP lawmakers Salauddin Quader Chowdhury and Kaikobad.

The two leaders arranged High Court bails for 41 Huji men arrested in Dhankhali in 1996.

Hannan said the Huji's communication with the BNP leaders continued and the outfit kept receiving assistance from them.

Towards the end of 2003, Abdus Salam Farid, Moulana Tajuddin, brother of BVNP leader Abdus Salam Pintu, met Babar at his government residence on Bailey Road in the capital. There GK Gaus, Ariful Islam, former DCC ward councillor; Yahiya and Abu Bakar, were also present there.

Babar told Gaus and Arif about the task of Sylhet and ordered them to do the work locally. In Sylhet, local BNP men and Huji men exploded grenades.

At the court yesterday, Habibur Rahman Bhuiyan said around 3:00pm on April 7 of 2011 jail police produced Mufti Hannan at his chamber for recording confessional statement.

Hannan was given three hours to make up his mind.

Judge Shahed Nuruddin of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-1 recorded Habibur's statement for half an hour yesterday.

Later, barrister Fakhrul Islam, a counsel for Mufti Hannan, cross-examined him.

The defence will again cross-examine Habibur today as the court adjourned the trial proceedings for yesterday.

Syed Rezaur Rahman, chief counsel for the August 21 grenade attack cases, stood for the state.

The August 21, 2004 grenade attack on an Awami League rally killed Ivy Rahman, wife of President Zillur Rahman, along with 23 others and wounded over 300 people.

Sheikh Hasina, now prime minister, narrowly escaped death and suffered ear injuries.

Share on


Why these perpetrators are not yet charged to the court?

: naabaj

The earlier reports say that mufti Hannan has been intimidated and coerced into making such confessional statements in 2011 and what seems possible under the present autocratic Government to make political gains with an ulterior motive. Secondly urges grenade used in this tragic incident is not easily available outside the army. But the report that was published in weekly Holiday about the admission by the ULFA leaders in the open court in ASSAM that it was their action against SK. Hasina as a retaliation of arresting their leader ANUP Chetia has never between refuted by the present Government. Then also the report by the High Court judge has pointed his finger to the neighbouring country has remained suppressed so far. So the truth seems to be otherwise. Just prior election A.L. leaders have been shouting about imprisoning Begum Zia and other BNP senior leaders may be a clue of reviving and twisting these incidents. It has political implications. Let truth prevail not dirty political motives of this GOVT.

: Khalid U.K.


  • Citizen
    Monday, February 4, 2013 04:05 AM GMT+06:00 (157 weeks ago)

    It's disgrace to read such report where the killers are still walking free with blood at their hand . This is an extraordinary effort to finish the opposition and remain in power forever . Now that the truth has revealed lots of BNP and Jammat supporter walk away from supporting them in future election. The killer should be punished , otherwise they will strike again .

  • Kazi Salim
    Monday, February 4, 2013 04:57 AM GMT+06:00 (157 weeks ago)

    This case is taking long time, interrogation after interrogations and placing the killers of 21st August. It is only killing time and delaying the verdict. The master gang leader Tareque should be extradited from the UK at any cost and verdict should be given along with other co murderers. These murderers should have been tried by a speedy trial and executed without any mercy. What the judicial and other agencies are doing by delaying in a dilly-dally way? The trial process should be completed and the verdict should be executed as soon as possible.

    Monday, February 4, 2013 09:40 AM GMT+06:00 (157 weeks ago)

    But HANNAN later said in the court that He was tortured in the remand and forced to give false statement. Why did you mention this?





The Daily Star

©, 1991-2016. All Rights Reserved