The week in re(ar)view
It's a country of contradictions. On the cover you may have something good going on but look deeper and you will see that all that glitters is actually tin foil. Or worse, the tin foil will turn out to be fake. That's us. We find ever more creative easy to self destruct. If James Bond was Bangladeshi by origin he would have constantly pressed the self destruct button on his gadget laden car without ever needing to.
Water, water nowhere
Winning the prize is a great honour for the country. But along this line we thought maybe some other illustrious people should be getting prizes NO-BELL prizes at that. Under this category people who get little or no 'bell' ('patta' a.k.a. recognition) will be nominated. This includes all our politicians, cops and politicians. But then again they get so much recognition unfortunately it is all for the wrong reasons.
Poor to get poorer
By Gokhra and Mood Dude
Regarding article 'Grown Up Child' written by Tasnia published 28-9-06
Lets play football!
Football has evolved as a game through out the years. Today, it is one popular game we hardly want to miss out. Month's back we went through the kicks and jigs of football. Even though World Cup's over, the excitement never does. The premier league, with so many great teams all rule over the sports channel. The main thing over here is even though we love football, how many of us really play?
Medical world claims football to be a very good exercise. And, sports world says it is the best game ever! But, why don't women benefit from this great game? We only get to see man playing, why? In a society like ours, girls don't play football where they should. The football club in America gives professional leagues where international players play. If David beck ham and Ronaldo get all the opportunities, why not Kelly smith? Women are thought to be of the weaker sex where they are equally fit and can play football as well as men can.
Many girls who are interested drop their plan because of the disdainful comments from men, but, it should be clear to ladies who want to be a part of football that these comments are from men who have no idea or have never seen a professional women's game. These comments should not really bother. Remember, that time changes things so if women start playing without regrets they can change everyone's opinion. it is said that one bird can bring spring so I say one decision can change women's fate…
By Fatema akbar
2. Vibration-25 by Fuad- Rocking the chart with some awsome songs.
3. JibonerAhobaan by Milon Mahmud- Featurinf slow melodious tracks composed by our leading young musicians. Amar bhalobasha, Falguner agub & Kemon badhone are the tracks to watch out!!
4. Ojosro kobita by Swani Jubayer- The bohemian style & soft soothing voice of this young man has been able to create some apeal among listeners. The title track is very well composed!!
5. Ajob- Fusion has found new dimensions with this band. Pretty good mood music with a sufi feel!!!
6. Light years ahead by Stoic Bliss- These peoples are making monopolistic business. Kids just can't get over "Abar Jigay"
7. Hridoyer kotha (mixed album)- By the looks of it, Habib will rule the charts for a long time. Tracvks Bhalobashbo & Hridoyer kotha are major hitz of the year!!
8. Faissa gechhi by Hyder Husyn- This eccentric genius makes music from the soul & it has reached some souls to be frank!!!
9. Kotodin dekhina tomae by Shafin Ahmed- Shafin on a different genre with tribute to the late great Komol Dashgupta has pulled off a good album.
10. Aniket prantor by Artcell- Rock has always had its market here & this one has been no exception!!!
Source- Piano, Hollywood.
Things that we learned from the movies!
Double storied apartments in New York City are plentiful and affordable, even if the tenants are unemployed.
If you are blonde and pretty, it is possible to be a world-famous expert on nuclear fission, dinosaurs, hieroglyphics, kung-fu, or anything else, at the age of 22.
Honest and hard-working policemen are usually gunned down a day or two before retirement.
A man will show no pain while taking the most horrific beating, but will wince when a woman tries to clean his wounds.
If someone says "I'll be right back soon", you might as well expect that they won't.
A detective can only solve a case after he has been suspended from duty.
If you are single and in a party, you are almost always likely to come across a lovely girl(who also happens to be single)!
By Shamma M. Raghib
| Issues | The Daily Star Home
© 2006 The Daily Star