A Madrassah-turned-High School
Moezuddin High School is one of the older educational institutions of Faridpur. It was established in 1926 with an aim of educating the Muslim male students of undivided Bengal. It was established as a High Madrassah and got the approval of Calcutta University. The Madrassah became a high school in 1957.
Three brothers Abd-Allah Zahir Uddin (Lal Mia), Yusuf Ali Chowdhury (Mohon Mia), and Enayet Hossain Chowdhury (Tara Mia) established the school in memory of their father Munshi Moezuddin. The school is situated in the town of Kamlapur in a quiet and peaceful environment. It stands on a very large plot of land and has a one-storied administrative building and a two-storied academic building. It has also a big playground surrounded by trees. There is a hostel for students behind the administrative building.
The school since its inception has produced many students who have gone on to become successful in life. Noted alumni include professor Abdul Gafur, Rustam Ali, social worker, Sekander Ali Khalifa, divisional commissioner, Md Hossain Mollah, former ADC and director of Faridpur River Research Institute, Dr. Mosharraf Hossain, Dean of Kushtia Islamic University, Dr. Khabirul Islam, Surgery Specialist, Dr. Mohsin, Dr Md. Humayun, Suresh Chandra Roy, Dr Anwar Hossain, Dr Sirajul Islam, BADC official, Sudhir Kumar Ghosh, public health official, Engineer Rafiqul Islam, Major Farhad. Hockey players Isa, Musa and Rubel also attended this school.
The school accommodates 350 students, 12 teachers, 4 of them female, and 3 fourth-class employees. As a high school, classes six through ten are taught here. A library named Moezuddin Government Public Library provides the students with the reading resources that they need. Students take part in different interschool sports- it was runner-up in the Transcom National Hockey Competition in 1995.
There is also a Scout and a Youth Red Crescent team that has been taking part in different local, divisional and national rallies and playing significant roles in tree plantation. There is also a science laboratory and a computer lab with 5 PCs. The school still needs an auditorium though.
Last year 84% of the students passed the SSC examination. The many headmasters deserving recognition for their services to the school are: Moulavi Balagat Ullah, 1927-1966, Shirish Chandra Ghosh, 1966-1967, Alhaj Mohammad Abdus Salam, 1967-1999, Imam Uddin Ahmad Khan, 1999.
The Late Enayet Hossain Chowdhury, Eyad Ali Bhuiyan, Dr. Abdur Razzak, Md Abdul Latif Hafez Mohammad Eshak, Moulavi Tomij Uddin were in the Managing Committee in the first stages.
Presently, Professor Chowdhury Momtaj Hossain, Chowdhury Kamal Ibne Yusuf, Ejaj Hossain Chowdhury, Professor Fakhruzzaman, Professor Sheikh Abdus Samad, Motiur Rahman Shamim, Rafiqul Islam, and Shamsul Haque are on the Managing Committee.
Muhammad Anwar Hossain, the present headmaster said, the school has sound infrastructure but local residents want it to be nationalised. He would also like to ask alumni of the school to help out in their own ways.
(R) thedailystar.net 2009