Survey Methodology
The present government is led by Bangladesh Awami League and its alliances (popularly known as 14 party-great alliance (“Mahajot”) has completed 1st year of their power on January 06, 2010. With a view to understand current scenario, the Daily Star and Nielsen Bangladesh jointly carried out an opinion poll in end December 2009.

The basic objective of the Daily Star-Nielsen Opinion Poll 2010 was to assess the people's opinion on their

Click on the image for larger view

performance after completion of 1 year. The survey assessed the current political scenario and public image of different political parties and leaders. The study explored the general perception on politics in Bangladesh according to gender, age group, urban-rural and different constitutional setting, socio-economic and geographic divisions.

To ensure that the sample properly represents all possible categories, respondents were selected from the following groups:
Urban and rural areas
Male and female population
Age 18 years and above

Study Design: The sample for the poll covered the entire population residing in private dwellings units in the country. Administratively, Bangladesh is divided into six divisions. In turn, each division is divided into districts, and each district into upazila. Each urban area in the municipality is divided into wards, and into mahallas within the ward. Each rural area in the upazila is divided into union parishad (UP) and into mouzas within UPs. Therefore, Primary Sampling Units (PSUs) were mouza in the rural areas and mohallah in the urban areas. From each PSU, required number of households and respondents were selected randomly. The list of mouzas and mohallas were procured from Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Therefore, to capture overall picture of Bangladesh, the poll was carried out in 44 districts, covering all the 6 administrative divisions across Bangladesh.

A target number of completed interviews with eligible adult population were set at 3,050 based on statistical estimation, both from rural and urban areas. The split among these areas were based on national rural-urban population distribution. The survey was quantitative in nature, interviewed at household level and the survey period was December 17-25, 2009.

The opinion survey strictly adhered to the internationally laid down methodology and ethical standard as per the guideline of ESOMAR (European Society for Opinion and Marketing Research) and standards of Nielsen Worldwide.

-Average age of respondents: 37 years, starting from 18

-Male-Female ratio: 50:50

-Literacy range: 70 percent literate, 30 percent not literate, but many can sign names

-Rural-urban ratio: 70:30

Performance of ministers

The respondents were asked to rate the ministers according to their performances. Surprisingly, 76 percent of them could not recall any minister's name. Of the remaining 24 percent, most mentioned Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid as the top performer. Agriculture Minister Matia Chowdhury was in the second place followed by Foreign Minister Dr Dipu Moni, Food Minister Abdur Razzaque, and Finance Minister AMA Muhith.

Govt's performance: Still confident

The opinion poll shows 53 percent respondents are satisfied and 12 percent very satisfied with the performance of the government in the last one year. Together these two categories make up 65 percent of the respondents.

Against this, only 15 percent said they are dissatisfied and two percent very much dissatisfied. However, 16 percent said they are neither of these two, which actually shows a negative response for the government.

Rajshahi division respondents are most satisfied with the government while Sylhet people are the least satisfied. Dissatisfaction is the highest among Khulna residents and the least among Sylhet residents.

Matching with the above result, 62 percent respondents think that the country is heading in the right direction after a year. Only 19 percent said it is moving in the wrong direction, and 17 percent found no change.

Again people of Rajshahi were found to be more favourable to the government as 70 percent of them said they think the country is heading in the right direction. Among the people who think otherwise, the Khulna residents top the chart with 21 percent.

Opposition leader: Scores low
In case of Khaleda Zia, 35 percent respondents are satisfied with her and four percent very much satisfied, combined a 39 percent looking at her performance as opposition leader favourably. On the other hand, 26 percent people said they are dissatisfied with Khaleda's performance, four percent very much dissatisfied, and 23 percent not disposed to either way, combined a total of 53 percent negative voting for her.