Homebound Zola
AFP, London
Chelsea's Italian star Gianfranco Zola was reported Tuesday to have decided to leave London to finish his career on his island home of Sardinia with Italian side Cagliari. The Daily Mirror said Zola met his agent and lawyer, Naples-based Fulvio Marrucco, in Sardinia Monday night to confirm the move after six and-a-half years in the English Premiership. The Italian played a prominent role in the season which ended with Claudio Ranieri's Chelsea qualifying for the Champions League. Zola, who is 37 on Saturday, is out of contract at Chelsea from Tuesday. He had been keen to play a final season in London but was unhappy Chelsea had decided to slash his wages. He was reportedly offered a new 12-month deal worth 1.3 million pounds (2 million dollars) -- less than half the 2.8 million pounds (4.6 million dollars) per season Zola earned in his last contract. The former Napoli and Parma striker was Chelsea's top scorer with 16 goals in his 46 appearances. But he was relucant to have to fight for a first-team place next season with Eidur Gudjohnsen, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Carlton Cole and Mikael Forssell. Cagliari president Massimo Cellino said last week he was confident of signing Zola who had rejected a lucrative move to Qatar. An Italy international, Zola made 35 appearances for the Azzurri, scoring seven times, and was a member of the squad which lost to Brazil on penalties in the 1994 World Cup final.
|