Comitted to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 4 Num 97 Mon. September 01, 2003  
   
Front Page


3 explosives loaded cars missing in Najaf


Iraqi authorities are searching for three cars laden with explosives believed to have entered Najaf, where a double car bomb killed a top Shiite religious leader and 82 other people last week, Iraqi police said.

"We received information that three car bombs had entered Najaf and we are searching them," Major Tariq Jamel told the wire service.

The search began as tens of thousands marched through Baghdad in a funeral procession for the revered Muslim Shiite Ayatollah Mohammad Baqer al-Hakim.

Hakim was assassinated in last Friday's bomb massacre at Najaf, 180 kilometres south of the capital, that also left a further 125 people wounded.

Four men, two Iraqis and two Saudis, believed to have links with the regime of ousted Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and the al-Qaeda terror network are being held over the massacre.

"Two are Iraqis from Basra, who belonged to the former regime, while the other two are Arab Wahhabis," Najaf Governor Haidar Mehdi Matar told AFP. "They confessed to the bombing."