Comitted to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 4 Num 129 Fri. October 03, 2003  
   
Sports


Adam to retire, Graham isn't


Surrey captain Adam Hollioake is to retire from first-class cricket at the end of the 2004 English season, the club announced here Wednesday.

But there was better news for The Oval-based county when, in a separate statement, they said England batsman and Surrey favourite Graham Thorpe had signed a new two-year contract.

Hollioake, 32, a medium-pace bowling all-rounder who won four Test caps and made 35 one-day international appearances for England between 1996 to 1999, including 14 as captain, has been profoundly affected by the death of his younger brother.

Ben Hollioake, himself a Surrey and England all-rounder, died aged 24 in a car accident in Perth, Western Australia, in March 2002.

Adam, who to set off on a charity expedition Thursday on behalf of the Ben Hollioake fund, said: "I have had a marvellous 14 years at Surrey and in the last seven years as captain, I feel we have achieved many things of which I am immensely proud.

"After much soul searching I have decided that 2004 will be my final year. I have many things that I want to do with my family, charity work with the Ben Hollioake Fund and my business interests in Perth.

"I will continue to give everything I can to the club in the next 12 months, and in the years to come."

Surrey chief executive Paul Sheldon said: "We are very sad that Adam will be retiring at the end of next season as he has been an outstanding captain and the most pivotal character in the club's success of recent years."

Hollioake, like his brother born in Australia, made his Test debut alongside Ben in the fifth Test against Australia at Trent Bridge in 1997.

But it was in the one-day game where he excelled, captaining England to victory at the 1997 Champions Trophy tournament in Sharjah.

At Surrey, Hollioake has led the club to eight domestic trophies in seven years including three county championship titles.

But Surrey's sadness at his retirement announcement was partly offset by the news that Thorpe, England's premier middle order batsman of recent years, was staying at The Oval.

Left-hander Thorpe, 34, briefly opted out of all cricket last season following personal problems caused by the collapse of his marriage.

These later caused him to go back on his assurance to the England selectors that he was available for the tour 2002-03 tour of Australia.

However, he marked his return to international cricket in style by scoring a century last month at The Oval against South Africa in England's series-levelling fifth Test victory.

Thorpe, born in the Surrey town of Farnham and a one county man throughout a first-class career which began in 1988, said: "I am delighted to have signed a new two-year deal with the county with whom I have grown up with in cricketing terms since I was nine.

"I couldn't imagine playing anywhere else or ever playing against Surrey," added Thorpe, in England's Test squad for the forthcoming tours of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.