Turkey, US agree on 'action plan to purge Kurdish rebels
AFP, Ankara
Turkey and the United States have agreed on an "action plan", including military options, to purge northern Iraq of armed Turkish Kurd rebels, a Turkish diplomat said yesterday. "We have agreed on an action plan," Nabi Sensoy, the deputy undersecretary of the foreign ministry, told reporters following talks between US and Turkish officials here. About 5,000 armed members of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), which has waged a 15-year war for self-rule in southeast Turkey, are believed to be hiding in Iraq's mountainous north since 1999 when the group announced a unilateral ceasefire and withdrew its guerrillas from Turkish territory. The group, which is considered a terrorist organization by both Ankara and Washington, called off the truce last month. Asked whether the "action plan" included military options, Sensoy said: "No option is ruled out for PKK's eradication from northern Iraq. Everything is in." He said Turkey was ready to "make any contribution" to help the United States cleanse northern Iraq of the rebels. "The related ministries and agencies will carry out the necessary work from now on the action plan," Sensoy said, declining to give further details. Joseph Cofer Black, the State Department's coordinator for counterterrorism, headed the US delegation at the talks, the second round of meetings the two sides have held since last month on the issue. Turkey has repeatedly called for the US army to crack down on the PKK since it occupied Iraq. The chief of the powerful Turkish army, General Hilmi Ozkok, said Wednesday that there was no link between sending Turkish troops to Iraq, a plan that Ankara is currently considering, and fighting the PKK. But US action against the rebels could help the government here convince MPs to vote for the sending of troops to help the Americans in Iraq, according to observers.
|