Barthez deal vetoed
AFP, Zurich
Fabien Barthez's loan deal to Marseille from Manchester United has not been authorized, football's world governing body FIFA said. The French football federation, which had handed the transfer request to FIFA, was told on Thursday to inform the player and the two clubs concerned. Marseille can still contest the decision, according to FIFA rules, but this course of action would likely take some time. English Premiership champions Manchester United had reached agreement with Marseille for the one-year contract for France's 1998 World Cup winning goal keeper earlier this month but the move had needed to be ratified by FIFA because it occurred outside the transfer window. Barthez, who has two and a half years left on his United contract, had dropped down the pecking order at Old Trafford since manager Alex Ferguson signed American keeper Tim Howard in the summer with Northern Ireland's Roy Carroll as Howard's deputy. Marseille keeper Vedran Runje said: "I'm a bit sad for Fabien. I respect him a lot and I get on with him well in training. Unfortunately the club are going to have to look for a new keeper. "I think Fabien has a role to play at Manchester United. I wish him all the luck." Marseille striker Steve Marlet said: "We're a bit surprised by the decision. This news is going to be well covered in the press which doesn't really suit us because we've got a very busy month ahead. "However the harm has already been done and since this was all announced, the news has lain heavily on his (Runje's) shoulders. Whatever decision FIFA made or whatever the result of an appeal, the psychological impact on Vedran has already been done."
|