Comitted to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 4 Num 158 Sun. November 02, 2003  
   
National


No let-up in diarrhoea
Four more killed, over 300 attacked in Nilphamari, Lalmonirhat


Four more persons died of diarrhoea and over 300 were attacked with the disease in Nilphamari Dalmonirhat districts in the last four days.

Our Nilphamari correspondent reported that with two more deaths, the toll is now 50.

The two dead are Ashful Begum, 22, of Nauapara village under Saidpur upazila and Kohinoor Begum, 31, of Battala village in ther Sadar upazila.

According to the district health department control room, 179 diarrhoea patients were admitted to the six upazila health complexes and the Sadar Hospital and another 321 were treated there.

Diarrhoea is showing no sign of let-up as the number of patients coming to hospitals daily remains by and large the same.

In seven days from September 28 to October 4, three persons died and 432 were admitted to hospitals. In seven days from October 24 to 30, two died and 402 were admitted.

The control room says 60,663 people have so far been attacked with diarrhoea till October 30 since it broke out this year.

Many of the patients vomit blood, which shows the disease is not typical diarrhoea, doctors said.

There are allegations of irregularities at hospitals though special inspection teams have been formed by the district health department to oversee treatment facilities.

During a visit to Jaldhaka upazila health complex Thursday morning, this correspondent did not find any doctor there. Only one nurse was looking after patients, also lying on the floor without any mat amid vomit and stool.

The situation in Nilphamari Sadar Hospital was slightly better.

Patients were seen lying on the floor but a sweeper was cleaning it. Two nurses were on duty.

"We can not provide bed to every one because of rush of patients. We try to keep the hospital clean", RMO (resident medical officer) Dr Khosrshed Alam said.

A Lalmonrihat correspondent reported that a monir boy and a woman died from diarrhoea on Friday, raising the toll to 26 in the last three weeks.

The dead are Maleka Begum, 30, of Mahisamuri village under Kaligonj upazila and Ashraful, 3, son of Eaham Ali of Jalangi village in Patgram upazila.

Sources said at least 150 people have been attacked in the two upazilas.

When contacted Civil Surgeon Dr Sohrab Hossain Sarker said the diarrhoea situation in Lalmonirhat in under control and there was no shortage of saline and other medicines for patients.