Comitted to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 4 Num 160 Tue. November 04, 2003  
   
National


Diarrhoea toll now 35 in Gaibandha
Over 6,000 attacked, Civil Surgeon says


With the death of two more persons, the toll from diarrhoea has risen to 35 in Gaibandha district.

Munna Begum, 35, of Dimla Padumshaher village in Shaghata upazila and Chand Mia, 10, of Dhutichora village in Gaibandha Sadar upazila died on Saturday.

At least 300 diarrhoea patients are now under treatment at different upazila health complexes, official sources said yesterday.

Civil Surgeon Abdul Quddus said over 6,000 people have been attacked with dioarrhoea and other intestinal diseases in the district. He however admitted 32 deaths.

Shoal areas are the worst affected, he said.

During a visit to some upazila complexes on Saturday, patients told this correspondent that they were not getting saline and other drugs from hospital authorities.

When contacted, the Civil Surgeon said he asked for 5000 bags of IV saline but got only 500 bags last week. "This is too scanty to the need", he said, admitting 30 deaths from diarrhoea.

Some health assistants of the district health department working in remote areas said they feel embarrassed to face people in remote affected areas without saline or other drugs.