Nat'l players can compete in NCL
Sports Reporter
National players will be eligible to play in the upcoming National Cricket League (NCL) that begins on December 10 across the country."Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has assured us that all members of the national team, Bangladesh A and the under-19 teams will be allowed to play in the national competition," said Adnan Rahman Dipon, member secretary of the league committee, yesterday. It was earlier learnt that national coach Dav Whatmore and his under-19 counterpart Richard McInnes had shown their unwillingness to the participation of their respective charges in the tournament. But the BCB finally decided to go by the demand of the league committee. Dipon informed that a lot of discussion took place about the issue and most of the members were in favour of the star players' participation in the meet. "They were of the view that otherwise the League would become a lifeless affair," he said. The schedule of the country's lone first-class competition, which is going to be back in its old home and away format, has been finalised, but the organisers would not reveal that until they finalise the bylaws and budget. "We are yet to finalise the bylaws for the tournament. Besides, we need a little more time to settle everything as the new chief executive of BCB Macky Dudhia doesn't know all about its financial aspect," said Dipon. He also said that the league committee had been discussing these matters for the last two days and hoped that they would be able to settle it by today (Wednesday). According to the fixture of the tourney, three matches will be held on the opening day at three different venues of the country. On the opening day, Dhaka will host Barisal at the Bangabandhu National Stadium while Comilla welcome Chittagong at the Comilla Stadium and Khulna travel to Sylhet to play their away match at the Sylhet Stadium. Teams will play in a four-day match first and then meet in a limited-overs game the following day.
|