Committed to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 4 Num 187 Thu. December 04, 2003  
   
Front Page


Haunted at home
Males of 200 families in Habiganj hiding to evade arrest on 'false' charges


Some 200 families of Shibpasha village in Habiganj district were attacked by local goons on the Eid day and their males have fled home since then to evade arrest having been 'framed' in cases.

"The male members of these 200 families have been absconding as several 'false cases' were filed against them by Motaher Hossain Chowdhury, younger brother of former inspector general of police (IGP) Modabbir Hossain Chowdhury," alleged Khaled Hossain, one of the victims, at a press conference at the National Press Club yesterday.

He also read out a statement. Some 100 people gathered at the press club premises.

Ex-IGP Modabbir Hossain Chowdhury said he had nothing to do with the incident.

"I am not concerned at all about the allegation and have not gone to my home village for long. So the question of influencing the police administration does not arise while I was IGP," Modabbir added.

Khaled however said, "For the last five years Motaher has been trying to establish dominance over the Shibpasha irrigation scheme sprawled over 700 acres."

He also alleged Motaher demanded eight maund of paddy for each bigha of land in irrigation cost although farmers bear the cost of the irrigation scheme.

"He also wants us to put signatures on blank paper so that he can realise the irrigation cost even if a natural disaster occurs," Khaled alleged.

"We held a press conference at Habiganj Press Club before Ramadan and narrated Motaher's repression to local journalists," the written statement said.

"He was furious after the press conference and on the Eid day, his henchmen attacked our houses and looted valuables," the victim alleged, adding that they did not get police protection after the incident.

About 300 people attacked the families with lethal weapons on November 26 that coincided with the Eid-ul-Fitr, leaving 21 injured.

Twelve-year-old Hosne Ara took a sharp iron strand of a multi-pronged fishing spear deep into her skull above the right eye during the clash and the picture was published in some national dailies.

Motaher was arrested with arms by the joint forces during the Operation Clean Heart last year and was released just 10 hours after his arrest.

The locals sought the home minister and prime minister's intervention for protection of their life and living.

Abdul Malek, Lutfar Rahman, Manik Mia, Mostafijur Rahman, Habibur Rahman, Chinu Mia and Farruk Mia -- all victims -- were present at the press conference.