Committed to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 4 Num 187 Thu. December 04, 2003  
   
Sports


UEFA Champs League
Sukur supplies lifeline


A double strike by fit-again Turkish star Hakan Sukur kept Galatasaray's hopes of qualifying for the Champions League final 16 alive with a 2-0 win over Italian side Juventus here on Tuesday.

The victory puts Fatih Terim's side on six points, and means that second place in Group D will be decided on the final matchday against second-placed Real Sociedad.

Juventus, who are already qualified for the last 16, need to collect a point against the already-eliminated Olympiakos to be sure of winning the group.

The Istanbul side were able to count on the massive support of Germany's Turkish immigrant workers with 65,000 fans mostly on their side during the tie which had been moved from Turkey on November 25 after the bomb attacks in Istanbul.

There were so many Turkish supporters in the ground that the start was delayed by 15 minutes due to traffic congestion.

"We don't even see such support in Istanbul. We needed them, they came, and I thank them," Terim said.

Juventus coach Marcelo Lippi rested David Trezeguet, Gianluigi Buffon and Pavel Nedved, while Galatasaray were boosted by the return of 32-year-old Sukur, who has recovered from an ankle injury.

The Turks were saved in the first half by a string of saves by goalie Faryd Mondragon and Sukur put them ahead two minutes into the second half, heading in a cross from Hakan Unsal.

The goal gave the Turkish team confidence, as Lippi's side struggled to get past their opponents' well-organised defence with their best effort, a long-range effort from Edgar Davids, easily saved by Mondragon.

The Turkish team created more chances as the match progressed with Sukur grabbing the second following a Hasan Sas through-ball in stoppage time.

Sukur said his team's win over taught ruling body UEFA a lesson after its decision to move the fixture to Germany from Istanbul.

Turkey had accused UEFA of favouring Europe's big teams when it moved the fixture and the Champions League match between Besiktas and Chelsea citing security concerns after four bomb attacks in Istanbul in November that killed 61 people.

"I said before the game that we would give the correct reply to UEFA and Juventus on the pitch. I guess we taught them both a sound lesson," Hakan said on his personal website.

UEFA's decision sparked uproar in Turkey's fiercely partisan press. Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan accused UEFA of bowing to terrorism after Galatasaray and Besiktas were banned from playing their home fixtures in Istanbul.

"One for UEFA, one for Juve," was the headline in Turkish daily Hurriyet on Wednesday. "The Galatasaray lions set off a bomb on the pitch," said popular daily Sabah.