Committed to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 4 Num 214 Thu. January 01, 2004  
   
International


4month-old baby pulled alive from ruins


Rescue workers in and around the shattered Iranian city of Bam pulled out five people -- including a four-month-old baby and a 12-year-old girl -- alive from the wreckage of last week's earthquake, local media reports said.

State radio said four of the five lastest survivors were found in the village of Baravat, located near Bam.

Press reports said the young girl was trapped in the kitchen of her home when the quake hit, allowing her access to food while she awaited rescue. Further details on the other survivors were not immediately available.

Iranian President Mohammad Khatami thanked the United States and other nations who have rushed to provide aid to the quake-stricken region but ruled out the prospect of political dialogue with Washington without a radical shift in US policy after decades of enmity.