Committed to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 4 Num 217 Sat. January 03, 2004  
   
National


Pneumonia claims 10 in Mymensingh


Pneumonia claimed 10 lives in three upazilas here in December last year.

Eight of them hailed from Nandail upazila, and one each from Phulbaria and Gouripur upazilas.

Of the victims, seven were identified as Khadeja, 3, daughter of Abul Kasem of Hawlapara village, Babu, a 40-day old baby son of Abul Bashar of Haliura village, Shikha, 23, daughter of Shahed Miah of Achargoon, Raihan, 10 months old baby son of Jahangir at the village, Babu, 45-day-old baby son of Abdur Razzaq of village Bashati and Sumona, one-year-old daughter of Soheli Miah of Piange Kanda village of Nandail and one year old son Rebat of Abul Kalam of Balukjan village of Phulbaria upazila. The identity of three others, two in Nandail and one in Gouripur upazila were not available at the civil surgeon's office.

During the same period, 440 persons were affected with pneumonia. Of them, 213 were attacked with pneumonia while 227 with severe pneumonia, official sources said.

However, in December 3,242 persons were affected with diarrhoea but no death was reported, the civil surgeon office sources said adding diarrhoea claimed 12 lives and affected 9,210 people in November.