Committed to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 5 Num 163 Thu. November 04, 2004  
   
Sports


SA envoy meets Delhi police over Boje issue


South Africa's chief envoy to India has sought assurances from Delhi police that cricketer Nicky Boje will not be questioned over a match-fixing scandal when he arrives with the national team next week.

Indian media reports Thursday said that Delhi Police Commissioner KK Paul had, however, declined to give any assurance to acting High Commissioner Desmond M Nxiweni that the cricketer would be spared.

Delhi police have confirmed that Paul and Nxiweni met on Wednesday but declined to give details.

The Hindu newspaper said Paul had told the envoy that legal procedures would be followed, which means Boje could be questioned as the case has not been closed.

Nxiweni was not immediately available for comment but reports said Boje would cooperate with the police should he be summoned for questioning.

Police sources said Boje was likely to be questioned by detectives during South Africa's two-Test tour of India.

Ace batsman Herschelle Gibbs has opted out of the tour as he reportedly fears arrest over his alleged role in the match-fixing scandal, which dates back to March-April 2000.

Indian police are probing the alleged involvement of both Gibbs and Boje in the scandal, with both cricketers having received questionnaires which they have been asked to complete.

Implicated in the same scandal was former skipper Hansie Cronje, who admitted involvement his part and was served with a life ban before tragically dying in a plane crash in southern South Africa in 2002.

"We have cooperated with the Delhi police by passing on the questionnaires to the players and the board decided that the players themselves should take the decision about their availability," United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCB) chief Gerald Majola said last week.

He added that Gibbs, on advice of his lawyers, declined to answer the questions.

Gibbs was slapped with a six-month ban from international cricket while Cronje got a life ban from the sport after tearfully admitting before a commission headed by South African judge Edwin King that he took money from bookmakers and paid some players, including Gibbs, to under-perform.

Boje was cleared by the commission.

Majola said the UCB believed the matter had been settled after the King commission hearing.

"We are satisfied that justice has been done," he said.

Boje did answer questions from the Indian police and has said he is very keen to go India, Majola added. He has been named to replace the off-form Mark Boucher as vice-captain.

"Nicky has indicated to me that he is very keen to tour," said Majola.

"He answered the questionnaire in full and are now awaiting a response from the Delhi police," he said.