Committed to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW
Vol. 5 Num 216 Sat. January 01, 2005  
   
International


Man found alive after five days under rubble in Indonesia


A man has been pulled alive from the rubble in Indonesia's Banda Aceh city five days after a powerful earthquake and tsunami caused massive destruction, reports said Friday.

Ichsan Azmi, 27, was found alive by a search-and-rescue team in the city where tens of thousands were killed by the world's worst disaster in living memory, Metro TV reported.

Television pictures showed Azmi looking relatively healthy despite open wounds to his legs and arms.

He had not eaten or drink anything for the past five days, the report said.

He reportedly told his rescuers that he had been dragged to the place where he was found when tides struck his home two kilometers away.