Syria to complete Lebanon pullout by April 30
Reuters, Damascus
Syria will withdraw all its troops and intelligence agents from Lebanon by April 30, UN envoy Terje Roed-Larsen said yesterday. "Foreign Minister Shara also informed me that all Syrian troops, military assets and the intelligence apparatus will have been withdrawn fully and completely latest by April 30, 2005," Roed-Larsen said at a joint press conference with Syrian Foreign Minister Farouq al-Shara. "Syria has agreed that subject to the acceptance of the Lebanese authorities a UN verification team will be dispatched to verify the withdrawal." Roed-Larsen was speaking after talks with President Bashar al-Assad in Damascus. Syria, under intense international pressure, began pulling out its forces from its neighbour last month in line with a UN Security Council resolution adopted in September.
|