JS body set to resume stalled probes into CNG scam
Staff Correspondent
The stalled probes into allegations of corruption against the communications minister in the import of CNG-run autorickshaws and against the state minister for communications in allocating land to set up CNG filling stations are likely to be resumed.The parliamentary standing committee on the communications ministry that formed two sub-committees in January and February 2004 to probe the allegations will dissolve them at its meeting today. The standing committee itself will now investigate the allegations as the two sub-committees failed to produce any probe report till now. "The sub-committees will be dissolved at today's meeting and the parent committee will probe the allegations," said Syed Manjur Hossain, chairman of the standing committee. "We will not provide the sub-committees with further extension of time," Manjur told The Daily Star yesterday. Of the two sub-committees, one headed by ruling BNP lawmaker Nadeem Mostafa was formed on January 7 last year to probe the allegations of irregularities against Communications Minister Nazmul Huda in allowing only one company to import CNG-run three-wheelers. The other sub-committee headed by BNP lawmaker Mahmudul Haque Rubel was formed on February 14 last year to investigate the allegations of corruption against State Minister for Communications Salah Uddin Ahmed in allocating land to set up CNG filling stations. Both the sub-committees were asked to submit probe reports within a month. Their time limit was also extended several times. According to Parliamentary Rules of Procedures, if any sub-committee does not file its report after holding three meetings, it stands dissolved automatically. The two sub-committees however did not hold any meetings. Quoting the Rules of Procedures, Manjur said both the sub-committees have lost their legitimacy as per the rules.
|