Board wakes up after Lanka debacle
Sports Reporter
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) sought an open discussion with the members of the national team after a forgettable performance in Sri Lanka.The first of its kind meeting involving the players and board officials will take place at the BCB's management office in Gulshan in this evening. "We have talked to the selectors and team management separately. But we also want the opinion of the individual players so that we can assess what went wrong in Sri Lanka," BCB general secretary Mahbubul Anam told reporters yesterday. Bangladesh lost both the one-day and Test series badly against the Lankans earlier this month prompting widespread criticism among cricket fans. The board has also considered the Sri Lanka debacle as a wakeup call for the country's cricket. Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar welcomed the initiative and said that he was optimistic of a productive outcome from the discussions. "It is nice that the board has decided to meet all the team members. I think it will help both sides to understand the problems behind the failure," said the 33-year-old. Mahbub however considered the meeting as an opportunity to weigh options before preparing the new salary package for the national cricketers. "A lot of issues will be discussed in the meeting but there will definitely be an effort from the board to give the message to the cricketers that it is 'perform or bust'. "We have also made it very clear that it is mandatory for each player to appear in the National League to ensure a senior call up," said Mahbub, who head the committee for cricket operations. But Mahbub ruled out claims from aggrieved cricket fans that the salary of the players should be cut following their poor show in Sri Lanka. "There is no way of reducing the salary of the players. We are even planning to bring some positive changes to the payroll by which the players will be benefited." Mahbub also indicated that under the new payroll there would be five grades and some senior players might be promoted to 'A' plus besides A, B, C and rookies. It was learnt that the board is set to increase the basic salary of each grades by fifteen per cent. With the one-year contract expiring last Friday, Mahbub said that he would finalise a fresh payroll for both cricketers and the selectors within two weeks. "We will discuss the issue with the players today and I hope that everything will be ready for the approval soon," said Mahbub. "I think the selectors have done a good job for the last two years and they deserve a fresh deal," he said. Former national captain Faruque Ahmed has been leading the selection panel since July 2003.
|