AL men, Hindus being dropped from voter list: Hasina
Unb, Gopalganj
Opposition leader Sheikh Hasina yesterday announced that Awami League (AL) would not participate in the upcoming general elections without reforms of caretaker government and the Election Commission."The alliance government has completed all machinations to rig the elections, the AL will not take part in the elections unless caretaker government and the Election Commission are reformed," she told reporters at Bangabandhu Bhaban at Tungipara. Hasina complained that the Election Commission is preparing the electoral roll dropping Awami League and Hindu voters. The chief election commissioner (CEC) "made a record by disobeying the High Court directives on preparation of voter list". She told the reporters that the serial bomb blasts on August 17 were staged "on government's instructions and switch of the bombs is in the hands of the government". Earlier in the day, in her brief address to the local Awami League leaders and workers, Hasina accused the alliance government of creating instability in the country through its "misrule and support to militancy". The AL chief urged all to vote for the Awami League candidates in the next elections to protect the country from the "anti-liberation axis of BNP and Jamaat". Hasina reached Tungipara Thursday evening from Dhaka to offer fateha at the mazar of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. She attended a milad mahfil at Bangabandhu Memorial Complex after Juma prayers yesterday. Awami League leaders, including Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim MP, Farook Khan MP, Jahangir Kabir Nanak, Muhammad Ali Khan Abu Miah and Emdad Chowdhury, were present. Hasina left Tungipara for Dhaka at 4:30pm.
|