Bangla Bhai Cases
Babar irked by slow progress
Staff Correspondent
State Minister for Home Affairs Lutfozzaman Babar yesterday expressed dissatisfaction over the slow progress of three cases filed in Mymensingh after JMB linchpin Siddiqul Islam Bangla Bhai's capture.Speaking at a meeting that reviewed the progress of cases filed in connection with militant attacks across the country, Babar also said the progress of the cases filed for suicide bomb attacks in Gazipur is not satisfactory. The minister asked the additional inspector general of police and Gazipur superintendent of police to iron out the problems and expedite the cases. The meeting, attended by secretaries of the home and law ministries, inspector general of police, director general of Rapid Action Battalion, SPs of different districts and public prosecutors, also asked the investigators to conduct with caution the investigation of the cases filed against Rahman in Sylhet. Attaching priority on the cases filed for militant attacks that claimed lives, Babar said investigation should be done in a way that conviction could be ensured. "We're pursuing [the case] so that maximum punishment [of the accused] can be ensured and the verdicts work as deterrent to militant activities," Babar told reporters when asked about the sedition case filed against the militants. The meeting discussed how to address the flaws in the investigation and complete the probe in the quickest possible time. "We have sent a circular to the DCs (deputy commissioners) and SPs (superintendent of police) saying that the investigation officers will be liable for flaws in the investigation," said Babar. The minister hoped that verdict on some major cases will come in two months. Sources said the meeting asked the investigators to probe well into the role of the wives and women members of the militant leaders' families. "It is not logical that a militant's wife will have to face charge only because she is the wife of a militant," a police officer told The Daily Star after the meeting. RAHMAN ON FRESH REMAND A Dhaka court yesterday granted 10-day remand for banned Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) chief Abdur Rahman after showing him arrested in the case filed for last year's August 17 bomb blast near the Jatiya Press Club. As Magistrate Shamsul Alam of the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate's (CMM) court asked whether he wished to appoint a lawyer or seek bail during the hearing on the remand petition, the JMB chief said he would not seek bail from an 'earthly' court. Earlier on March 23, Rahman made the same statement during hearing on a petition seeking his remand. The Detective Branch (DB) of police accompanied by the members of Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) took Rahman to the CMM court amid tight security on expiry of his 10-day remand in the case filed for the August 17 explosion on the Supreme Court premises. DB Inspector Shah Mohammad Moshiur Rahman, also investigation officer (IO) of the case, submitted a petition for showing him arrested in the Jatiya Press Club blast case and sought a 10-day remand for interrogation. Rahman was directly involved in the countrywide bomb blasts on August 17 last year, including the one near the Jatiya Press Club, the IO said in his forwarding report. So he needs to be quizzed to find out vital information about the bombings and whereabouts of other JMB leaders and members, the IO added. After the hearing, Magistrate Shamsul Alam granted the petition for showing Rahman arrested in the case and also granted the remand prayer. Earlier, JMB military commander Ataur Rahman Sunny, operations commander of banned Harkatul Jihad Bangladesh chapter Mufti Abdul Hannan and JMB Gazipur regional commander Enayet Ullah were shown arrested in the case and placed on remand for interrogation.
|